Explore the best of sailing in Greece
Charter a yacht in Greece and experience the beauty and wonders of a nation made up of 6,000 islands and over 13,500 km of inspiring coastline. Meander from island to island, stopping for a swim in the gorgeous bays or to discover ancient ruins before catching the breeze to sail to your next destination. Explore the most amazing islands while sailing in Greece on your next holiday.
- Breathtaking beaches
- Charming hilltop villages
- Ancient ruins
Athens, Thessaloniki, Rhodes, Crete
Boat base locations
Athens, Mykonos, Crete, Corfu
Volcanic beaches of Santorini, Party island of Mykonos
Best time to sail
April – October
Explore cities in Greece
Things to do and see when sailing in Greece
Greece is well known for its cuisine and hospitality:
- Relax and prepare to be pampered as you enjoy traditional dishes of grilled lamb or freshly caught fish with tasty herbs, garlic, and olive oil in the local tavernas.
- Order a glass of domestic wine and top your meal off with a small shot of ouzo.
The Greek Islands remain one of the top summer destinations for lovers of the sun, history, art and parties.
- Mainland Greece is surrounded by about 6,000 islands and islets set in the stunning indigo and aquamarine waters of the Aegean and Ionian Seas.
- Greece’s diverse islands offer visitors an abundance of striking beaches, charming clifftop villages, unforgettable sunsets and impressive archaeological sites.
- A sailing holiday in Greece is the best way to explore the country’s diverse landscapes, historic sites and beaches.
- From the iconic Acropolis perched on the rocky hill above the city of Athens to the white washed houses and indigo blue roofs of Santorini, to the quiet beaches of Crete, Greece’s rich history, charm and breathtaking coastline make it one of the best destinations to explore by boat.
Enjoy the best views of the islands from your Greek sailing yacht. Spend a summer holiday island hopping in Greece and relaxing on some of the country’s best beaches. Some of the most celebrated beaches in Greece are: Myrtos on Kefalonia, Porto Katsiki on Lefkas, Balos on Crete and Navagio on Zakynthos.
- Rent a boat in Athens to experience some of the best and most popular spots to start your sailing holiday in Greece.
- Charter a yacht from Corfu to explore the beautiful bays and coves of the Ionian Islands.
- Rent a boat in Crete and discover its beautiful beaches, wild natural beauty, exquisite cuisine and thousands of years of culture and history.
- Rent a sailboat in Kos and start your island-hopping in Greece.
Boats in Greece
Whether you are seeking a romantic getaway, family fun or partying with friends, you’ll be sure to find your own piece of paradise on a sailing holiday in Greece. Greece enjoys a warm, sunny climate with a sailing season that starts in April and lasts throughout the middle to end of November.
- Greece is an ideal location to charter yachts thanks to its pleasant weather conditions and winds that make sailing a breeze
- Go island hopping in the early or late summer (end of April to around mid-October) for the finest weather with sea temperatures in the low to mid 20’s
- Taking a sailing holiday in Greece in the summer also means you’ll experience vibrant nightlife, bustling yacht parties, and inspiring landscapes full of blossoming wildflowers, olive trees and grapevines
- While the sun can beat down pretty heavily on summer days, the “meltemi” sea winds will likely bring a cool breeze whether you are onboard or exploring a coastal village.
Suggested sailing route
Sailing in Greece
- Excellent sailing destination for both beginners and experienced sailors
- Cruise around the inland sea, where you’ll find many harbours and anchorages in addition to ideal wind conditions
- Many of the island regions offer ideal sailing conditions for chartering a yacht including those located in the Saronic Islands and the eastern coast of the Peloponnesian Gulf, as they are well protected from strong winds
- If you plan to charter a yacht in in the Cyclades, you should know that it is one of the most challenging, yet fun sailing areas due to strong winds in July and August
- Saronic Gulf Islands
- The Islands of Argosaronic – group of islands is located in between the Peloponnese and Athens and include the islands of Angistri, Aegena, Poros, Salamina, Spetses, Hydra and the peninsula of Methana. These peaceful havens are among the most visited Greek islands to visit from Athens due to their close proximity (Aegina is only 16.5 nautical miles from the port of Piraeus)
- Sail from Athens to the Sporades and discover the natural beauty of Alonissos, Skiathos, Skopelos and Skyros.
The Ionian Islands
- Located on the western coast, the Ionian Islands of Zakynthos, Ithaca, Corfu, Kefallonia, Lefkada, Paxi, and Kythira make up the famous Eptanisa or “the Seven Islands” and are said to be Greece’s most green and fertile islands
- Zakynthos and Corfu are the main attractions, you will find several smaller islands in this region that make for a perfect Greek island hopping adventure
Greece’s diverse landscapes and multitude of breathtaking island regions provide endless opportunities for sailing. Once you’ve explored one island region, you’ll surely want to discover more. Fortunately, Zizoo offers a variety of yachts in many locations throughout the coast of mainland Greece and the islands so you’ll have the chance to discover more.