Traveling with your kids is one of the most rewarding and enriching experiences you can give them. Not only does it bring you all closer together as a family, it creates crucial memories that will endure well beyond their childhood and have a lasting impact on all of you. And to make your family holiday that much better, skip the hotels and book a boat instead.
It’s the best way to travel with kids, and here’s why:
Top 12 reasons why boats are better than hotels for family holidays
- Interaction with nature: Being on the water and participating in activities like snorkeling can instill in your kids a greater appreciation for nature. It can also teach them to respect the environment and make them want to protect it.
- Safety of a private yacht: A family holiday is so much more relaxing when you don’t have to constantly worry about steering clear of crowded places and other tourists.
- Unforgettable unique experiences: No kid will ever forget the thrill of living on a boat, even if it was just while on vacation!
- No noise complaints: Kids can be loud, and if you’re in a hotel you might get complaints from the guests next door. Take a boat and that problem disappears.
- No disturbing noises: Likewise, in a hotel, you could get stuck with a loud group partying next door or even right outside your room. A boat guarantees peace and quiet.
- Exciting days = restful nights: After a full day of swimming, exploring, sailing, and more, your kids will fall into their beds exhausted (which means everyone gets a good night’s sleep!).
- Zero crowds: Even if you’re lucky enough to have a hotel with a pool or beachfront, you’re going to have to fight for space to enjoy it. But when you’re on a boat, you’ve got your own set of waves all around you.
- Pick your extras: There’s no waiting for kayaks or jet skis to become available (or only getting to use them for a short time); you can include such extras in your boat booking and use them throughout your holiday at your leisure.
- Eat what you want, when you want: Forget mediocre hotel breakfasts consisting of overcooked eggs and boxed cereal and forget waiting for the buffet to open (or dragging the family out of bed before it closes). On a boat holiday, you plan your meals and prepare them on your schedule.
- Quality family time: Traveling by boat means you’re spending real, meaningful time with your kids, bonding with them in an environment that is more enriching than what you’d find at a Kids’ Club.
- See more places: When you travel with kids, you need things to be as easy as possible. Sailing means you’re able to go quickly and comfortably from one destination to another — without the hassle of constantly packing and unpacking or checking in and out of multiple hotels.
- Learn new skills: Kids thrive on the challenges of learning new things, and being on a boat gives them ample opportunities to pick up new skills (and maybe even discover new passions!) like fishing, sailing, or scuba diving.
Meet real families who sail with kids
These inspiring families prove just how enjoyable and rewarding sailing with kids can be.
- Brittany documents her family’s travel adventures in the popular sailing blog Windtraveler, but you can go ahead and learn from her experience sailing with kids (and even a baby!) in her guest posts “10 Useful Boat Features for the Baby on Board” and “So You Want to Sail with a Baby?”.
- Genevieve is the mom behind sailing blog It’s a Necessity; in “What you need to survive boating holidays with kids” she shares her guide to raising two kids while traveling the world on their floating home.
- Find out how one family is doing sheltering-in-place on their boat during the pandemic in “How Does a Sailing Family Get Through the Corona Virus Crisis?”.
6 tips for traveling with kids by boat
Some excellent ideas on how to make the most of your family boat holiday.
- Book the right boat: When you travel with kids, you’ve got to prioritize things like comfort, safety, and kid-friendly activities. This guide will help you book the right boat.
- Pick a family-friendly destination: Here are our suggestions for top vacation spots that the whole family will love visiting.
- Teach your kids ocean etiquette: Sailing with your kids is a great way to show them how to respectfully interact with sea life. This article will help guide you in raising little environmentalists.
- Bring baby along too: Prepare for the challenges of having a little one on board by reading this guest post.
- Teach kids boating safety: It’s important for older kids to understand certain safety rules for sailing, and you can find the most important safe-boating topics to teach them here.
- Picture the perfect family day: Get inspired for your own family sailing vacation with this example of what an ideal day spent traveling with kids at sea can look like.
Did you know? Boat holidays are just as affordable as hotels
Let us finish convincing you that a boat holiday is the way to go if you plan to travel with kids by busting the myth that yacht holidays cost more than hotels: Booking a private boat does not have to be more expensive than a hotel.
You can find some excellent offers on Zizoo.com that make traveling with kids on a boat just as financially feasible as staying in a hotel — see below for just one example: