At Zizoo, we know that many folks with dogs love to take their pooches out to sea in the summer. With warmer weather and easier sailing, it’s not so unusual to see a furry four-footer playing the role of skipper!
However, there are plenty of safety considerations to take into account before bringing your pup on board. For example, even the most water-loving Labradors should be equipped with a canine life jacket (rough waves can pull under even the strongest of swimmers). It’s also smart to teach your dog “on boat” and “off boat” commands to avoid accidents when docking.
Here is a checklist of the most important things to keep in mind when going boating with your dog:
- inform yourself about the pet travel regulations in the country you’re going to.
- consider installing a net around the deck if your dog loves to run around. You could also bring rubber mats for key walking / running areas.
- always have a supply of clean drinking water – this is very important not only for your pet but for all of the crew.
- as already mentioned, you’ll want to get your pup a canine life jacket. Alternatively, you can use a harness. Either of these will make your furry friend extra safe.
- ensure that your pooch will be able to go to the toilet regularly while you’re boating. Either by making regular shore visits or by installing a surface they will be comfortable with using.
- make sure your pet doesn’t stay in the sun for too long and that there’s always a shaded area for rest.
Here is a Dog Safety Tips Infographic from the dog lovers over at K9 of Mine that we’re sharing here for further advice on how to keep four-legged crew safe this summer. Make sure to read these tips before you set out boating with your dog!
Want to go sailing with your furry friend? Find more tips for sailing with pets here. And once you’re all set up, contact our crew at Zizoo to recommend you the friendliest boat charters and types of boats for boating with your dog.